The annual street security marketing campaign kicks off on Might 15 and runs via till Might 21, 2018.
When the Might lengthy weekend lastly rolls round, it’s time to fireplace up the barbecue and say whats up to heat climate; however spring’s official welcome occasion has a darkish facet too—it’s usually fraught with information of heavy site visitors, accidents and harmful driving. The truth that Canada Highway Security Week kicks off the week previous to the lengthy weekend isn’t any coincidence.
Canada Highway Security Week runs from Might 15 to Might 21 this yr, and is a part of a nationwide marketing campaign to make Canada’s roads the most secure on the planet. Throughout the nation, police shall be out in pressure concentrating on high-risk driving behaviours, together with distracted driving.
Distracted driving legal guidelines throughout Canada
Whereas security is the paramount incentive to not drive distracted, there are fines, demerit factors and auto insurance coverage implications to contemplate as properly. A distracted driving ticket, for instance, will have an effect on your insurance coverage charges for a minimum of three years, and that’s not together with the positive for the ticket itself. Distracted driving legal guidelines in Canada range by province, and the next chart outlines the minimal penalties for a primary offence:
10 tricks to keep away from distracted driving
Driving requires your full consideration, and heeding the next suggestions will enable you concentrate on the duty at hand, and keep away from a possible ticket:
- Plan your route upfront so you’ve got a agency deal with on the place you’re going. Should you’ll be utilizing a GPS, program it earlier than you allow and activate the characteristic so it calls out the directions so that you don’t must look on the display screen whereas driving.
- Do your private grooming at house; you shouldn’t be shaving, combing your hair, or making use of make-up within the automotive as you drive.
- As you put together to depart the home, report a brand new voicemail greeting that tells callers that you just’re driving and can return their name while you’ve arrived at your vacation spot.
- Earlier than getting into your automotive, flip off your telephone or change it to silent mode so to’t hear the calls or texts coming in. Then, place your telephone in an out of attain place, to keep away from temptation.
- Should you’re capable of function your telephone hands-free (e.g. with Bluetooth), preserve your conversations easy. Keep away from intense or emotional conversations that take your thoughts away from what’s occurring on the street.
- Be certain that your purse or luggage are closed and positioned in a spot the place they received’t fall over ought to you want to brake instantly. Think about inserting your objects within the trunk, or on the ground within the again.
- If travelling with pets, make sure that they’re correctly secured within the automotive. Your pet ought to by no means be free to roam about or sit in your lap. There are harnesses, crates and carriers in the marketplace that can guarantee your pet is secure when you drive.
- Get comfy. Regulate your seat, mirrors, local weather management settings and radio earlier than you drive so that you don’t want to the touch them en route.
- Don’t eat and drive. Rummaging via takeout luggage and opening the lid in your double-double is distracting and signifies that each palms aren’t on the wheel and your eyes are seemingly not on the street. Should you should eat within the automotive, park it first.
- Don’t rubberneck if there’s an incident on the street. Resist the urge to look when passing a collision; not solely does rubbernecking sluggish site visitors additional but it surely may additionally lead to you inflicting one other collision.
Observe the principles of the street
Throughout Canada Highway Security Week, you may in all probability rely on a heavy police presence on the roads. Observe the pace restrict, sign your lane adjustments, buckle up, put the telephone away and don’t drive impaired, as a result of it’s extra than simply conserving your automotive insurance coverage charges low, it’s about arriving at your vacation spot safely.